BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Google Homepages »

Friday, January 14, 2011

what you do vs. where you go. and merit and race . best and worse

for the weakest, as the class agreed it was merit and race. i had alot of issues with it, but the main one was it encouraged giving in to societies expectation of low acceptance. i speak this way in the mind set that when i go to college that i will not have any problem getting in because I am African American. My standards are already high because I know my competition. And I go up and above, or try because I want to be an exceptional student and I want to be successful in life.

People have this sort of mind set that no one ever includes them in things but when It comes to this sort of thing they just give up. Its shameful because the things that are worth fighting for in “minorities” isn’t gangs drugs or money. Its education. “the mind is a terrible thing to waste” was the UNCF’s campaign slogan and yet people still waste there minds on stupid things.
However ”where you go vs. what you do”( Martha O’Conell ) is a very legitimate article. As I stated in a class discussion if I wanted to be a pilot why would I go to Harvard? The fact is the way people see you may be different by the college you went to but your job is much more important. I’m sure a mechanic shop wants you to know cars, not … e =mc2.

I do how ever wish that people didn’t care what college you go to though because the way I see it is that it shouldn’t matter as long as you studied the right field. Some people are racist and some people aren’t and that’s just the way it is. If a minority isn’t accepted into a college because of their race then that’s a problem for the schools because soon other countries will catch and surpass America. Only because it is un reasonable to not accept a citizen into a college because of their race. Again I don’t actually see myself as the one to have issues getting into college and I am confident that if I work together with others like me, we could perhaps protest or try to change colleges of America for the better.

0 comments: